Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Library Closures Follow-Up

I posted earlier about the proposed closings of 7 City of San Diego public libraries, and in the meantime I've been monitoring community responses. Jane has also been doing her part, and during a discussion with some members of the local Point Loma choir she sings at, found herself seated next to a very friendly and extremely passionate library advocate. She's sent me some information regarding a hearing on the issue taking place throughout the day tomorrow, Wednesday, November 12. In addition to this council meeting, the San Diego Public Library Foundation is beginning to circulate information on how citizens can respond and fight such measures. I'm including a link to the page for those in the area who might be interested.

I think one very telling detail mentioned in the press release is the statistic on library use during economic recessions. Studies have demonstrated that there is an uptick in library use during times of economic hardship - which seems pretty intuitive. Free use of computers, and free rentals of films and books, are always boons to any community, but in times of job loss, home foreclosures and major budget crunching, those free services become even more desirable.

I'm glad to see the beginnings of an organized response to these suggested closings, and hope to follow further developments from my end.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know we will be upset if the OB library closes. I sincerely hope that enough activism can make a difference in this case.