Monday, May 18, 2009

An Antique 'Round My Wrist

Turning twenty-nine for the fourth time has its pleasures, like inviting a few friends over for a sumptuous meal prepared by yours truly (the bigger the meal, the smaller the guest list, unfortunately). Cooking one's own birthday feast may raise a few eyebrows, but I had a recipe I wanted to try (short ribs alla genovese, boasting a rich anchovy-onion-red wine sauce) and, at this point, cooking gives me as much pleasure as anything, so it certainly wasn't a chore. Besides, the other cook in the house whipped up a slab of roman bread and a decadent Irish Cream Bundt Cake, so it wasn't just me slaving over the hot stove. One friend brought over a whopping bottle of Russian vodka, the other a much-welcomed gift card for a certain beverage chain (one does start to sense a trend here).

But the surprise of the night lay inside the tiny box my wife handed me after we had started toasting each gift with small glasses of Greek ouzo. A wristwatch lay inside, but this was no ordinary wristwatch. This was something we'd both spotted a month or two earlier while scrounging around the antique shops and specialty stores of Escondido. Among the Bulovas, Hamiltons and Omegas lay a unique and odd-looking example of wristwatch whimsy. No name, no details, only a little note alongside indicating it was from the 1920s and a rare design. The 12 digits were squeezed into a narrow rectangular shape, with the 1, 5, 7 and 11 nearly oozing, Salvador Dali/The Persistence of Memory-style, towards the intricate moving hands. It was way out of my price range and areas of knowledge, but it stopped me short in my tracks.

Jane must have been paying attention, because she apparently made a return drive up the 15 to Escondido to claim the watch. It's now sitting next to me, fully wound, ticking away like a charm. It's a thing of beauty. I've been drawn more and more to uniquely crafted items these days, and to have something that boasts both sleek design and utter practicality is a real treat.

They say that male vanity is best expressed through watches and shoes. I have no intention of hoarding large collections of antique watches, and I probably won't be wearing this out to the grocery store or the bike path anytime soon. But it's the sort of thing I'll own until the end of my days. The fact that it was helping somebody keep their appointments before my grandparents were born and when Calvin Coolidge occupied the White House is something I still have difficulty grasping.




4 comments:

Jane, the wife said...

Beautiful watch. Your wife must love you very much.

Emily said...

It is beautiful. Happy 29th -- may time continue to stand still for you both!

Gregory said...

Very nice watch.
If you want to find out more about it, you might post a photo on the forum at watchuseek.com and see what people can tell you. Of course you may have already found that site.

Happy belated birthday, by the way.

Anonymous said...

Lucky Jason! Mom and I enjoyed the story of how it all came about. How thoughtful (and typical) of Janes affection for Jason. What a great gift idea Jane - a timepiece, from an earlier time, to mark the passing of time! Great photo too- Mom recognized the Dali style, with the odd numbers enlarged. We're pleased that, in this age of digital images and Cyberspace, you still have an appreciation for craftsmanship. Your watch is a great example of the fusion of function, art and craftsmanship.
We enjoy your writing-keep it coming.

Mom & Dad