Monday, December 15, 2008

Fire Pits Follow-Up

In a wonderful piece of news announced this afternoon, a private and anonymous donor has put up the required cash amount ($259,500) to keep the city's beach fire pits intact for the next year and a half. The twelve fire pits that have already been removed will be re-instated. The donor said they did not frequently use the fire pits themselves, but wanted to ensure others would be able to enjoy them.

This is exactly the kind of generosity and selflessness San Diego and other cities need more of. I'm often struck by how recessions bring out the best in people, rich and poor. I talked to a woman this morning who told me that instead of buying people Christmas presents this year, she and her family were paying off their brother's mortgage. She then gave me a hug and told me to "spread the wealth". How nice to hear that phrase reclaimed from the likes of Joe the Plumber!

No comments: